Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Podcast: What Does Submission Really Mean?


What do you think of Ephesians 5:22? You know the verse: Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord?

I've heard some pretty wacky interpretations of that. Some take it to mean that husbands can beat their wives. Last week, in Wifey Wednesday, one commenter wrote about a man who believed that because the wife was to submit, she had to understand love in his love language, even if that wasn't her natural bent! Others take submission to mean that they have to submit in the bedroom, even if he asks something bizarre.

And then there's the more run of the mill interpretations, which go something like this: "When you can't make a decision, he gets the final say," as if God essentially means submission means he wins in the case of a tie.

I don't think any of those things are biblical. I think submission means something quite different. We probably don't all agree; I don't think I've ever met any two women who completely agree on the idea of submission. But I think it's good to think and pray about it, and to see if you're at peace with God about it. So have a listen to my podcast this week: What Submission Really Means. It's short, and I don't deal with everything. But maybe it's a leaping off point where we can start talking about it!

Every Tuesday I upload a new podcast, and this week this is it! When you go to the podcast, subscribe by clicking on one of the links to the right, so that you hear them every week! They're not overly long, but just nuggets to get us thinking.

So, on that vein, what do you think about submission?


Bookmark and Share




To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I just found your blog, so I'm looking around.

A couple years ago, I was first saved and my husband HATED my going to church... We were really struggling and there was very little holding us together. I felt God telling me that I needed to be submissive. I took it to a whole extreme and lost who I was as a wife, a mother, a woman, and a person in general. I had no idea who I was anymore, I just did everything in my power to do everything I could for my husband. Well, needless to say it didnt work at all. It made my husband walk on me EVEN MORE. I became more and more lost.

Now my husband and I are doing great, a miracle Im telling ya!!! Im slowly learning who I am again. And now Im learning what GOD means by being a submissive wife, not what I interpreted as submissive. Anyways, long explanation and not much progress!! haha...

I look forward to all your writings. Thanks for sharing!!!

 

At 3:54 AM , Blogger Precision Quality Laser said…

Submission used to be akin to a cuss word to me...lol. Growing up in church, I always heard that wives had to submit to their husbands. But then the pastor would just stop there and forget about the REST OF THE VERSE!

I submit to my husband because he is submitted to Christ. I can trust his authority because he follows the Father's heart over his own desires.

Now, I view submission as a place of power rather than weakness. When I am submitted to him, and he is submitted to Christ, we make a powerful team! Submission also means protection to me. I am covered by husband. He has authority to speak into my life and over me. He can do battle for me when I can't. He is strong in my weaknesses. Much like what God is for me too.

It is such a shame that so many preachers get off on the WIVES SUBMIT tangent and leave off the other important side to the equation: the husband must be submitted to Christ and loving his wife as Christ laid down His life for the Church (us)!

I realize that not all women share my blessing of having a husband that is a committed Christian. So your situation could be significantly different. But you can still trust God to protect, fight for, and sacrificially love you. And He can use your husband to do it too!

Submission also means self-control. Putting aside my desires to come in alignment with what my husband believes to be the best decision is NEVER easy. Oh but there is such strengthening of my spirit and weakening of my flesh when I do!

Submission has also come to mean love. I love my husband, therefore I trust him to do what is the best for our family. I love the Lord and I know He has my best interest at heart. My husband loves me and because of that he is committed to becoming (continual process) more like Christ so that he can love me the same way Christ loves us.

Submission used to be an ugly thing to me. Now, with different eyes of revelation, it is a beautiful demonstration of trust and love.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails