Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Do You Follow Recipes?
This morning I decided to make banana chocolate chip muffins.

So I printed out a recipe and headed for the kitchen.

Alex, my 13-year-old nephew, wanted to help. I said sure!

So I got the flour ready and the baking soda and the salt. All he had to do was measure the powder.

It took him forever because you needed half a teaspon and he only had a teaspoon measure. He had to make sure it was exactly half.

Meanwhile I threw all my ingredients in just guesstimating.

It was like last week when I asked my husband to help me with something. I was stirring a white sauce and all he had to do was mix up some powdered milk. It's 1/3 a cup of powder and then you fill it up til it's "about 1 1/4 cups. It doesn't really matter." I was making biscuits, and I'm never that exact.

It took him five minutes! He had to make sure it was exactly 1/3 cup of powder. Then he had to measure exactly 1 1/4 cups of liquid, but it kept bubbling so he wasn't sure. I would have just thrown it in, bubbles and all.

I am not a recipe person. I really don't think it matters that much. But these guys are. And I really shouldn't have laughed at them so much. They were trying, and I'm feeling a little bit badly. But my daughters are the same way. They sort of measure, but not really.

So what about you? Do you measure? Or do you guess? And do you think it matters?
To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:48 PM , Blogger Jane Anne said…

Both my hubby and I love to cook. I follow recipes (and love to try out new ones, I might add) and he loves to create dishes. It amazes me how he can put a little of this and that and come up with something delicious.

 

At 7:04 PM , Blogger Tracey said…

I do both...if I know the recipe I guess and if not i follow more closely...but not exactly...

 

At 7:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I just consider a recipe to be a guideline. :)

 

At 7:31 PM , Blogger Donnetta said…

I'm a bit of both. I measure, but if it calls for 1/2 cup and all I have is a 1 cup measure... I will guesstimate the 1/2 mark.

 

At 3:17 AM , Blogger Herding Grasshoppers said…

Measure when you bake... it matters.

Throw caution to the wind when you cook :0)

 

At 1:20 PM , Blogger Megan said…

I learned early in our marriage not to be in a hurry if my husband was cooking or wrapping presents. His inner engineer comes out in full force!! (He uses a RULER to wrap presents...oh my...but they turn out really nice :-).

I almost never deviate from recipes unless I'm missing ingredients or I'm absolutely forced to be creative. But I do guesstimate a lot on measuring spices and such.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails