Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
If I Could Write a Letter to Me...
Tracey over at Grace Comes by Hearing is thinking about the Brad Paisley song where he writes a letter to himself at 17. So she writes one to herself, with the advice she wishes she could have heard back then.

I've thought of the same thing when I hear that song. I think I might turn this into a column, but here are my thoughts to my teenaged self:

You've been without a boyfriend for two years now and I know you feel desperate. Believe it or not, you're going to encourage your future daughters not to date at all! This is a good thing, because looking back I can see how your faith has grown. Look to God, not to guys. He's more reliable.

I know you feel like your friends don't understand you. That's because they don't! But one day you'll be in a position to find friends that are more like you. You'll be able to choose your university, choose your workplace, choose your church. You'll find great people there, I promise. Right now you're stuck in a school you can't get out of, where people don't want to think deeply about issues. That's okay. It won't last forever. Just try to be a blessing to those with you now.

Take care of your cousins. They look like they have a perfect family, but things can be tough. Pay more attention to them. In the future, you'll wish you had.

You know those kids at Down Syndrome at the camp you counsel at? Don't ignore them. I know they make you feel awkward, but you're looking in the face of your future son. Love them and have fun with them, and it will be easier for you when you hear the news in a few years.

There's a reason God's sending you on short term missions trips. Remember that most of the world lives in poverty. Never let your life become about money.

God blesses those who bless others. Never let your life be about you, either. Let it be about letting God live through you.

You're going to cry more tears over the next ten years then you will imagine. But one day, you will see how God has used these tears for good. So at your lowest points, believe that He will carry you. Spend the time now practising throwing yourself into His arms. Learn to trust Him.

You're going to fall in love at 18 with a Christian man you will think is perfect. Take a step back. Does he let you be yourself? Does he ask you about you? Relationships can't be based on hero worship. Run away fast. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache.

And by the way, while you're running away from your boyfriend, take another look at your best friend. Sometimes best friends really do make the best husbands...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

aww This is really good :) thanks for sharing it.

 

At 11:26 PM , Blogger Tracey said…

Thanks for the link....I just upgraded my computer and for some reason I couldn't access your site or a few others for 24 hours...not sure why, but it seems to be ok now!

 

At 12:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

This gave me chills! So sweet.

 

At 12:15 PM , Blogger Scribbit said…

I've often wished I knew at 17 what I know today. Things would have been so much easier.

 

At 1:47 PM , Blogger Christian said…

This was such a good idea, thanks for being personal and sharing a bit with us. I am a brand new blogger and was hoping I could get your permission to link you in my blog. I did reference your blog this morning, because I also wrote myself a letter. Check me out sometime.
http://whowouldvethoughtit.blogspot.com/

 

At 2:07 PM , Blogger Jodie Allen said…

i love your last line b/c that's exactly what i would have said... i did marry my best friend in high school but at 17 would have died at the thought! :)

great idea...

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails