Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Tackle It Tuesday: Appointments, Appointments!

I am writing this while squinting through one eye.

I so proud of myself!

After avoiding venturing to the eye doctor for 6 years, I finally went to check my pressures. I have glaucoma in my family, and I really should be getting checked, but it's not fun and I was always busy.

So today I said enough of that.

And they put drops in my eyes, and my pupils are so big at the moment you can't tell what colour my eyes are, and I had to drive home like that (thank goodness it's not sunny here today!), but I DID IT!

So often we put off necessary things when it comes to our health. As a Christian, Pap smears is one thing that is NOT necessary depending on your background. What they're checking for is cervical cancer, and over 95% of cervical cancers are caused by STDs. So if you were a virgin at your marriage, and you married a virgin, you really have nothing to worry about. I go every three years, and I think that's fair.

A friend of mine once told me of this horrible thing that happened to her one day for her Pap smear. She was heading out to the doctor's, and before she left she went to the bathroom and decided just to run a facecloth around there and make sure she was clean.

Later, while sitting in her stirrups, she was trying to go to her "happy place" when the doctor said, "my, aren't we fancy today?". She just giggled, thought he was nuts, and went back to the beach she was trying to picture.

Later that night, she was cleaning up the bathroom and throwing the old towels in the hamper. She noticed that facecloth was glittering. Calling her daughters into the bathroom, she asked for an explanation. It turned out that her six-year-old had been playing with glitter make-up, and had washed her face off right before my friend used the facecloth you know where. Nothing like being incandescent before your gynecologist!

I've been worked up so much this year because my mother has such health issues. She had breast cancer many years ago, so I've been getting mammograms since I was 30. I had a weird tingling in my feet, so I had an MRI. It was nothing, but it scared my husband. I've been poked and prodded this year galore, but I'm healthy!

Men, on the other hand, never go to the doctor. So the next Tuesday Tackle will be to make my husband, a physician himself, book a check-up. I think that one will be harder than this week's tackle!

Sheila's book, Reality Check, is filled with stories of all the foibles of everyday life. Check it out here!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

My husband is that way with the dentist. He can't stand to go and get his teeth cleaned. When I had a wisdom tooth pulled a few weeks ago he almost got sick just sitting in the waiting room waiting for me, it is that bad. I gave up on trying to make him go, I figure it is his teeth. If I don't nag him, but make sure I go every 6 months, and take the kids every 6 months, eventually his conscience gets the better of him and he goes.

 

At 2:58 PM , Blogger Sarah said…

Great Tackle! I actually have an eye appointment this Friday and on the same day I have an OBGYN appointment. And it's not the fun one, like listening to a baby's heart beat. It's the dreaded yearly check-up. Then next week I have appointments for the dog, another check up for myself and my daughters 1 yr check-up.

 

At 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

okay you've got me howling over the pap with glitter.. i can only imagine.. lol

great tackle!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails