Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Menu Plan Monday!

I love it that Organization Junkie hosts Menu Plan Monday. After all, the worst place in the world to be at 5:30 p.m. is in line at the grocery store with three kids in tow because you forgot to buy spaghetti sauce. If you know what you're cooking, you avoid the last minute panic!

That said, sometimes planning involves realizing the days that you're NOT going to be able to cook dinner. Tuesday is one such day for us. It begins with an 8:30 ophthalmalogist appointment in 45 minutes from my house. Ugh.

Then I take my mother to her birthday lunch, then the girls and I have hair appointments, and then we squeeze in dinner before going to a birthday party for my mom. There's no way I can cook then.

The usual response would be to grab something unhealthy and expensive but quick at take out. As the kids get older, though, they get a lot more expensive. They don't even order off the children's menu anymore! So take out is really no more fun.

So instead I have two options: use frozen leftovers or buy stuff expressly for that purpose. I love frozen leftovers, but I just ate our last big meal tonight when we had guests over unexpectedly (that's why it's great to have stuff in the freezer!). So instead, when I was at the grocery store, I bought some breaded schnitzels that are all ready to go. They just take 10 minutes on the stove.

They're not the most healthy thing, but they're better than the golden arches. And sometimes we have to settle for that! So, here goes my week:

Monday: Salmon, Rice, Salad, and veggies. Salmon really doesn't take very long, so this is a quick dinner to make. And it's healthy. I make my kids eat fish once a week. They don't like me for it, but they're getting used to it.

Tuesday: The schnitzel! The kids will like this.

Wednesday: Cheese fondue. Now the kids will love me! Every week I try to do a meatless meal, and here's ours this week. I do broccoli and cauliflower and homemade whole wheat bread with a really yummy cheese sauce. I just mix marble cheese and sharp old cheddar to a white sauce, and add a few mild herbs. It's great! It just doesn't freeze afterwards, so you have to eat it all up at the time. The kids don't mind that.

Thursday: Pork loin chops on the barbecue. This one's Keith's meal to make! We'll barbecue some baked potatoes, too, and it'll be lovely because I'm not responsible!

Friday: Spaghetti. Rebecca's turn to cook. There are definite benefits to one's children getting older!

Next weekend: I always have difficulty planning weekends because they're so up in the air. This weekend we had a full house last night that I wasn't expecting, and company this week. Or we may have nobody and do leftovers. But I love weekends, so whatever comes, comes. I'm okay with that!

Thanks for stopping by! Don't leave without reading some other posts! I have interesting ones from this weekend on whether or not God heals, Jane Austen, and more!

My book, To Love, Honor and Vacuum, can help you organize your home, too! I include lots of tips in there for having kids help you with chores like making dinner! Check it out.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM , Blogger Leah said…

i'm so glad i stumbled on to your blog! i'll have to check out some of your books! (i especially love the title of one of them, and your blog ;)) your menu sounds amazing for this week!

 

At 10:15 PM , Blogger threesidesofcrazy said…

Sounds like a busy week and I've always wanted to try schnitzel, maybe you've inspired me to try! Have a great week.

 

At 10:30 PM , Blogger Laura said…

I agree about having kids old enough to cook! It's SO NICE when they are able to help out that way!

 

At 10:59 PM , Blogger Laura said…

Great suggestion, I've done that too on busy nights.

Have a super week!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails