Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Letting Government Be the Parent, Part 2
I set off quite the firestorm a while back when I wrote about how I don't approve of government feeding kids. The more government does things parents should do, the less parents will do them.

Well, the story just got worse. Now a school in Chicago has banned brown-bag lunches, requiring the children to eat in the cafeteria, because they don't trust parents to send healthy things.

Now, I understand the sentiment. I've helped out in public schools, and the number of kids who bring nothing but pop and chips for lunch is truly atrocious. But I completely agree with Mona Charen, from National Review Online, about this. She says:

Like any good mother, I hate to see kids eating chips and candy for lunch. But what the liberal coercive humanitarians can never see is that their intrusiveness further diminishes parental responsibility. We want to encourage parents to do the right thing for their kids, not remove the responsibility from their hands and thereby implicitly encourage carelessness.

Exactly right.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:15 PM , Blogger Christine said…

Just told hubby, one more reason to home school. That is ridiculous.

 

At 8:29 PM , Blogger Mary said…

What about the children?

 

At 10:49 PM , Blogger Lynn said…

one of the hundreds of reasons why I homeschool.. enough said..

 

At 10:59 PM , Blogger The Happy Domestic said…

And who exactly is going to cater this cafeteria? Aramark, one of the largest cafeteria caterers in North America? From personal experience as a student on meal plans and also as a former employee of Aramark, cafeteria food is no healthier than fast food. Hence the "frosh fifteen" (or in my case 35 lbs) that students in residence inevitably gain. Any parent with a functioning brain can make healthy meals for less cost than a cafeteria meal. What are these administrators smoking?

 

At 8:20 AM , Blogger Scott said…

I completely agree! Why is personal and parental responsibility such a foreign concept for so many in government?! There many much better solutions than a further imposition of the "nanny state."

 

At 2:19 PM , Blogger Jennifer said…

I find this interesting, because I question how healthy the food is that the kids are getting from the cafeteria. My kids have things like fresh fruit and vegetables in their lunches, whole wheat bread for their sandwiches, with yogurt and cheese cubes to fill in the spaces. The school's lunches don't begin to measure up. They are low in fiber and flavor, while high in fats, sugar and additives - barely edible glop.

I would be furious if our school were to institute a rule like this, and I'd either be insisting they improve their lunches to meet my standards, or I'd be getting a note from my kids' doctor that would let me pack their medically necessary high-fiber, high-nutrition lunches.

 

At 9:44 AM , Anonymous Wendy said…

AAaaaamen!!!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails