Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!

My Webrings

Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!



Medical Billing
Medical Billing

For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Bleach vs. Peroxide
I need your opinion, ladies. I received this email in my inbox, and googling it, it seems that the email has gone far and wide. So I want to know what you think, because this is intriguing. My grandfather swore by peroxide, and I just went and picked up a bottle after reading this to use as a mouthwash. This article seems to have originated here. Let me know what you think of her info, because this seems interesting!

I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little old bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drug store. What does bleach cost?

My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don't tell you about peroxide.

Have you ever smelled bleach in a doctor's office? NO!!!

Why? Because it smells, and it is not healthy! Ask the nurses who work in the doctor's offices, and ask them if they use bleach at home. They are wiser and know better!

Did you also know bleach was invented in the late 40's?

It's chlorine, folks! And it was used to kill our troops.

Peroxide was invented during WWI in the 20's. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our troops and hospitals. Please think about this:

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 seconds daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.

3 Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few seconds, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten seconds several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, faddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someone has been careless & has peed on the floor around the toilet and it’s begun to smell of urine. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle and spray. In the blink of any eye, all the smell will be gone and the bacteria eliminated!

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should be without!

With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's a way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner! '

This information really woke me up.

I hope you gain something from it, too.

Pass it on!

So, what do you think?

Labels: ,


At 11:56 AM , Anonymous Dana said…

Some of the information is wrong. I've never used it to clean with, but have always rinsed wounds with it and have used it as mouthwash.

It was not "invented" in the 40s. Chlorine is an element and not "invented." It was discovered way back when and made its rounds through Europe, but was too expensive to really use commercially.

It has been used industrially for sanitizing since 1913, and in homes since 1924 at least. "Clorox" has been around since 1922.

And in the 40s, we used it to sanitize drinking water for our troops.

Peroxide is safe to use, and can be ingested in small amounts at least, but I would question the miracle claims of any article, and especially one that has known false information.


At 12:00 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Thanks, Dana! So what you're saying is that you can use it as a mouthwash, but it doesn't really disinfect well? That's what I'd like to know!

Anyone else have any thoughts?


At 12:35 PM , Blogger Janet - AKA: Latte Lady said…

Hello! So glad I found your website. I tried to email you but my computer wouldn't pull it up when I clicked the link.

I KNOW that I am going to learn a lot from you. I am a Pastor's wife and am feeling called into the speaking ministry. So, I am in the very beginning stages.

Anyway, on to your question. I read a lot in regards to natural health. Sometimes, they do recommend peroxide. Put some in ears when a cold or sinus starts, stuff like that. Also, they often say that bleach is toxic and shouldn't be used. (I still do for some things!)

I don't know about using peroxide for cleaning. I have read about using white vinegar. Put some in a spray bottle, dilute with water and there ya go! That's what I use. It DOES disinfect.

:) Blessings,



At 12:43 PM , Anonymous Shanda said…

After reading this I decided to try peroxide on a big ink stain on my bedspread. It diluted it a lot but the stain is still here.


At 12:52 PM , Anonymous Dana said…

Yeah. I don't think you're going to get the kind of cleaning you get from bleach but without some sort of study, I don't know about disinfecting. We use vinegar and water for regular cleaning and occasionally the "nasty" stuff (bleach or harsh chemical cleaners) when stuff starts to build up. With a little more elbow grease, we might get away without the other stuff entirely, but I have several small children and they "help." :)

I am thinking peroxide might be in the same sort of class as vinegar. A good cleaner, but may not get that sparkle. Without actually trying to clean with it, I don't know. Maybe I will. But I've never thought of bleach as particularly expensive.


At 1:56 PM , Blogger A'ine said…

Hi Sheila.
Friends of mine are EMTs and they do not use peroxide anymore for would debridement, in ambulances, etc.
Also, check here:
Whenever I get one of "those" emails, I always go onto to check the veracity of it. There's WAY too much misinformation on the net, imho.


At 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I don't know about all the other cleaning claims, but I do know it takes out blood stains. I've been using it for that for years, and it's always worked.



At 2:28 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Thanks, everybody!

A'ine, that's kind of what I thought, re the EMTs, because my husband is a doctor and he's never used peroxide (or seen it used).

And now Shanda has tried an experiment, and it didn't completely work!

So, to sum up what we know so far: peroxide may work well as a mouthwash or to wash out wounds; vinegar is probably just as good mixed with water; and it really doesn't get out stains that completely.

Is that pretty representative of what was said?

Thanks, everybody! It's great to just be able to throw a question out there and get it answered!


At 10:15 AM , Blogger Hippie4ever said…

Do not use peroxide as a mouthwash. Peroxide is cytotoxic. Repetitive use of peroxide breaks down tissue and slows healing by slowing collagen formation.


At 2:56 PM , Blogger Herding Grasshoppers said…

Your husband is a pediatrician, right? What does he say?

I seem to remember being told not to use it directly on wounds (at least not repeatedly) because it will hinder the tissue recovering.

However, while sailing to Hawaii I got an awful rash on one foot - probably fungal. It was red and horribly itchy. I poured undiluted peroxide on my foot and sat in the direct sun. The top layer of skin burned (sun? peroxide? both?) but it got rid of the rash. Probably other medications would've worked better, but it was all I had available.

I'm always skeptical of those emails making wondrous claims.


Post a Comment
<< Home

About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:

Important Links
Previous Posts

Popular Archived Posts
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Blog Design by Christi Gifford

Images from

Related Posts with Thumbnails