Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Walking Uphill Both Ways

Children During Recess at the Chattaroy, West Virginia School 04/1974


Don't kids today have it good?

Blogging buddy Tracey reminded me of that recently in her post "When I was a Kid...", reflecting on how easy kids have it today. 'Twas quite hilarious. Here's a snippet:


There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!


I remember cartoon Saturdays. I loved Scooby Doo, but Scrappy Doo spoiled it for me. What else do I remember?

I remember heating up leftover Kraft Dinner in a frying pan because there were no microwaves.

I remember seeing a movie in a theatre that I loved--and then never getting to see that movie again unless it happened to be an ABC "Movie of the Week". And if it was, you know that they cut tons out so that it fit neatly into two hours, with commercials.

I remember wearing jumpsuits that fell to the bathroom floor when you had to go because some adults thought jumpsuits looked hip.

I remember never having anything to do on Sunday afternoons because my friends were busy with families, and there was nothing on TV.

I remember TV with circle dials that you had to turn to find a station. And there were only four.

Old telephoneI remember having to dial a telephone, too. No automatic dial or touchpads for us.

I even remember party lines, when you couldn't make a call if your neighbour was on the phone. Adn I remember busy signals. As a teenager, all my friends' phones were always busy (I think they were avoiding me). And I couldn't just pop up in their MSN or Facebook chat box, or call them on Skype to get their attention, either.

What about you? What do you remember? How have things changed since you were a kid? Let me know!

Share/Bookmark





Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Blogger barb said…

I remember typing on a typewriter with a ribbon than always seemed faded, and if you made a mistake it was use that white tape (ineffective), liquid paper (messy), type X's through (ugly) or ... start again (sigh).

I remember when Lego had blocks. That's it. No fancy pieces - except that one clear piece that we all wanted for the windshield of our Lego car.

I also remember playing hide and seek with the other kids on my block. We were all our til our moms yelled from the front doors, or "until the street lights come on". Aaah.

 

At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Jennifer said…

I remember all that, too.

The other day I used he phrase "broken record" and my children looked at me in complete incomprehension. I tried to explain, but I don't think either of them understood.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails