Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Dreaming New Dreams revisited
It's not often that I really, really like my columns, but last week's came out of somewhere deep in my heart. And I received so many emails on it, and I wanted to share some of those with you.

Basically, the column talked about how sometimes our lives go in very different directions than we planned, but that doesn't mean that we've failed. It means that we're called to something different.

Interestingly, a retired man I know made the comment that it's easier to say that at 40 than at 70. At 70 you have a lot of regrets.

I think that's sad, but I don't think it's inevitable. When you're a Christian, you have this feeling that God is leading you. You know it. And if God is leading you, then there aren't regrets. Without God, how do you ever judge if what you did was right?

Then I received lots of emails from moms. Here's one:

Sheila, I just had to let you know how much I enjoyed last weekends' column, Dreaming New Dreams. You hit the nail right on the head when you wrote, "I think what we miss is that we are not the same people who dreamed them".

So true!!! I am a mom of three who works very part time hours, and at two jobs, one of which gets lots of chuckles and laughs from people when I tell them what I do. I used to be almost "embarrassed" about what I did.... until I read your article. I work part time for the city and am in charge of all bar sales at our local sports centre. I also work part time serving food.

It's not glamorous, but the most important thing to me is being home with my children. I don't want them in daycare and I don't want them home alone. I took hotel and tourism admin. at college and my dream was to work in a big hotel and have some fancy title....and like you, be downtown Toronto amongst all the skyscrapers.

I went to school there and did my placement right downtown, and boy, I had some big dreams! Well, there are no big hotels here and no fancy titles either. But it's just as well because my kids are the most important thing in my life, and I have built my life around that. Your column really, really helped me realize that what I am doing IS right...and that what's important is that I am happy with what I'm doing. Even though "cafeteria lady" doesn't sound nearly as exciting as "Chief Executive Officer", it allows my children to call me "mom who is always home when we are". (and knows everything they're doing at every single hour of the day!!!) And it allows me to concentrate on my marriage too. I am able to look after myself and be there for my family. I couldn't do that if I was doing what I had dreamed of so many years ago!


Isn't that good? This woman gets it! What matters most is our relationships with our kids and families, not our jobs.
I received a bunch of other emails I'm not at liberty to share, but let me just say as an encouragement to you all:

Your legacy is not what you do at your workplace; it is the difference you make in the lives of those God has given you. So cherish your family. They are irreplaceable!

Bookmark and Share




To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails