Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Wifey Wednesday: When Sex Doesn't Feel That Great


It's Wednesday, the day when we talk marriage! I introduce a topic, and then you follow up either by commenting or by writing your own post and then linking up!

Last week on Wifey Wednesday I encouraged you all to have more sex! Use it or lose it, I said. When you have sex more, you actually charge your libido!

But then some of you commented, what do you do when it just doesn't feel good at all?

I posted a video about that. Watch it again here:



But let me offer some more encouragement today. First, for many women sex does not feel very good at the beginning of their marriages. In fact, based on the surveys I did for my upcoming book, The Good Girl's Guide to Great Sex, it looks like most women have rather ho hum sex in their first few years of marriage. They don't reach orgasm. They don't like it that much.

That's because, as much as we may talk about sex being "totally natural", we don't just figure out how to do it easily. So many things are tied up in sex that making it work like clockwork isn't actually that easy. You have to feel safe. You have to feel relaxed. You have to feel willing and not ashamed. And that takes time to build up trust.

So just know that if you're in the first, let's say, 7 years of your marriage, and it still isn't working, it likely still will! Hold on to that!

The second thing is that I am totally convinced that most women do not know their own bodies. And men certainly don't! Men may "know", at a head level, that women need to be touched longer before they're ready for actual sex, but they don't necessarily know how to do that touching. Men and women like to be touched in entirely different ways. Men like it rougher; women like it much gentler. Most men, then, when they do try to touch, do it completely wrong.

And what's our response? We often don't tell them. We put up with it, because to ask for something else seems embarrassing, and if we're not getting aroused with what he's doing, then we figure there's something wrong with us.

But there's not! It's probably just that he doesn't know what to do, and he'd really, really like to learn. He may be rushing through it, so you may get the impression that "he really doesn't want to do this", but he's probably rushing through it because he doesn't understand the importance of foreplay and he doesn't understand how to touch you anyway, so what he's doing doesn't seem to be having much effect.

So, ladies, here's what it comes down to: if you are going to have a good time in the bedroom, you are going to have to be an active participant. Tell him what you want! He wants to make you feel good; for most men, that's the ultimate prize. When they know that they can make you feel good, they feel like real men. They feel wanted and desired. So he wants it to work, even if he's rushing through it. He just doesn't get it.

Here's a good way to make him get it: suggest that you play a game where all you do is touch for 15 minutes. Just have him touch you, and when he does something right, tell him. When it's not quite right, move his hand or lead him to some place better. You don't even need to use words if you don't want to. But show him what feels good, and in the process you'll probably learn yourself!

Believe that it can better, and take control of it. If you're one of those women who has just never felt that aroused, you probably have to do this a whole bunch of times to learn how to relax and just feel pleasure. But you can do it! So dare yourself, and maybe you'll find that you're one of those women who finally figures out what all the fuss is about--even if you're seven years into your marriage!

Now, what advice do you have for us today? Write your own Wifey Wednesday post that links back to here, and then leave the link of THAT POST in the Mcklinky below. Thanks!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Good article. But when I read the title I was hoping you were going to address what to do when sex actually hurts. I would love to hear your insights on that.

 

At 3:31 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Anonymous--

I will certainly deal with that soon! I actually have a draft up of a future Wifey Wednesday post already, and trust me, it is dealt with at length in The Good Girl's Guide to Great Sex! I went throught his for a while, and I know how devastating it can be. But you CAN get over it!

 

At 6:25 PM , Anonymous Frances said…

Just discovered wifey wed. and am loving all the links! My husband and I recently had a major revelation in our bedroom I wanted to share just in case this applies to someone else. All these years I've had a little trouble getting aroused because I was too dry. Sure there are things one can use to help with that and the internet is not short on advice for how to improve arousal in women, but this really was a physical problem. I tried switching birth control pills because I caught on that my estrogen was too low. Even with a higher estrogen pill I was still dry. I gave up trying. Then a few months ago a friend told me about the sympto-therm method of family planning. It just seemed right for us so we went off the pill. Two weeks later I recovered from my arousal problem...permanently! My libido has skyrocketed and my husband even seems to be more interested and affectionate.
Hope this helps someone!

 

At 1:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Yes, I too would love to hear about what to do when sex "doesn't feel that great" because of pain. I've been married almost 2 years and it still is VERY painful.

 

At 6:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

I just came to you from Adding Zest. I use to follow a lot better but, have just come back due to well.. some concerns I started having about not feeling as good making love as I use to. I feel badly about it. I feel like I am robbing my hubby. I want to give to him and enjoy it more but, really I don´t enjoy it as much as I use to. I am only 35. We have been married almost 15 years. REally have had an incredible love life. I love him dearly but I feel like maybe we are struggling now. Any suggestions? (sometimes I feel free and relaxed sometimes I don´t)

thanks for this post and the one on Adding Zest. Tried to comment there but it refreshed and I lost my comment.

Dani Joy

 

At 9:18 AM , Blogger Sheila said…

Frances, thanks for your comment! I found something similar, and that's actually quite common. It's a real downside to the Pill that doctors don't talk about enough! We did better with condoms.

Dani Joy, I certainly will talk about that! I think the fact that you're wondering about it is a good thing, though. Often we start to lose our libido when we're just in a rut in the marriage, because kids are taking so much energy. You have to be intentional about keeping everything fresh.

So in two weeks I'll write about that, but next week I'll help Anonymous, both of them, and write about what to do when it hurts!

Thanks for your comments!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails