Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
One Hot Mama

Every Friday my syndicated column appears in a bunch of newspapers in southeastern Ontario. Here's this week's! And I just want to add, it is the first time I have ever used the word "bazongas" in print. I think it works in this context, though.

Last year a friend of mine, who travels for business, bought a Bluetooth device so he could use his cell phone without touching the screen. You just stick it in your ear and tell it what you want it to do.

His wife, fixing to be a little naughty, reprogrammed his phone so that instead of being listed under “Lisa”, she was now listed under “Hot Mama”. Sounds like a good idea, except now, when my friend is in public with the Bluetooth in his ear and he wants to call home, he can’t say, “Call Lisa”. He has to say, “Call Hot Mama.” “Did you say, ‘Call Hot Mama?’”, the Bluetooth then queries. “Yes,” he replies. And then the phone begins to ring.

Once we women have been married for long past a decade and we’ve shoved out a few children, we need all the reminders we can get that we are, indeed, “hot mamas”. Nevertheless, from what I observed watching several office Christmas parties at various restaurants this year, I wonder if people misunderstand the term “hot mama”. Consider this, then, my primer for what is considered “hot”.

First, less is not more. Less is actually less. Unless you are a 23-year-old supermodel, a little mystery is a very good idea. I saw far too many 40-something women attempting to wear dresses that revealed too much cleavage and too much thigh. That is not “hot”. That is vulgar. And it’s not even attractive. After all, the reason that they are called “foundational garments” is because they are, well, foundational. Once gravity kicks in, it doesn’t kick back out just because one is wearing a skimpy dress; it works overtime. Thus, think dresses that allow foundational garments to do their duty, not dresses that just show skin. Many larger women think that if they can squeeze into something small, they will appear small. Only in your dreams, honey. If you’re large, wear something that flatters, not something that squeezes.

Second, consider the weather. I do not understand why women feel that the proper attire for parties at the dawn of a new year consists of barely enough fabric to cover the vital areas. It’s Canada, people! Let’s not deny it. The most glamorous woman I saw this Christmas was definitely post-50, but she donned a lovely long velvet gown which, while showing cleavage, also provided enough shoulder coverage to allow for that foundational garment, which let that cleavage actually look attractive. She outclassed the shivering women all around her by miles.

Third, think about how you want others to perceive you. If you’ve spent the last two years trying to get the four young men you supervise to treat you with respect, and then you show up at a Christmas party wearing something that is blaring “stare at my bazongas”, do you really think you’re giving the right message? Just because you’re at a party does not mean that you should break down all social barriers. Why not instead adopt a little class? Wear a dress that allows you to show your figure to best advantage, while still leaving enough mystery to keep the co-workers looking up to you as royalty, rather than looking down on you as trash.

Being “hot” does not require one to dress like a tramp or to catch hypothermia in the middle of winter. If you’re single and searching, you’ll attract class better by looking like class. And if you already have a beloved, he’s the one who needs to know what’s under those office clothes, not everyone you work with. Now that this lesson is over, I think I’ll put on a good foundational garment and go reprogram my husband’s phone.

Note: I know there are other things to consider here--like more of a plea for modesty as a whole. But when you only have 600 words, and I've done columns on modesty before, I thought a different tack was needed. So please don't take offense if you think I didn't make enough of a case for modesty! I'm word limited.


Don't miss a Reality Check! Sign up to receive it FREE in your inbox every week!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:40 AM , Blogger Michelle said…

This was great Sheila and so true. I actually had to have a talk with my 55 year old mother about what was appropriate for her age. I'm 36 and dress my age. The only place I struggle is my tops and that is because for some reason designers want us to show as much as possible. I have to layer t-shirts and tanks under tops that I spent money on. Luckily, this is Canada!

 

At 9:06 AM , Blogger Sheila said…

Michelle, that's too funny! I layer a ton of shirts now, too, and I'm hardly ever without one of those camisole thingies. They can actually look attractive at times, but it is a little strange. And I don't find layering two or three tops in the summer very fun. Even if they're sleeveless, it's still hot!

 

At 9:23 AM , Blogger Llama Momma said…

Preach it, sister! And may I just add my own plea? Buy a bra that fits, ladies. It will change your life. :-)

 

At 11:13 AM , Anonymous Christi said…

Llama Momma - THANK YOU! I'm surprised by how many women don't wear properly fitting bras. I realize they're a total pain to shop for, but take a little time and get one that works well for you and your figure. A great fitting/feeling bra really is quite fantastic! :D

Michelle/Sheila - I'm 27 and layer as well. Being rather, um, busty, I not only feel more comfortable (...not having every one check out my Ladies) when wearing a Cami under my shirts (even my t-shirts!), I also feel more supported.

Such a great column. :)

 

At 11:17 AM , Anonymous Serene in Singapore said…

Well said! And do you ladies also notice that a wedding seems to scream - show the world all you've got! And I am not talking just about the bride :) What is it with these older women? Trying to outdo the bride?!

 

At 11:36 AM , Blogger Lorrie said…

I always say just because you can buy it/squeeze into it, doesn't mean you should!
A great tank to wear under anything from dress shirts to tshirts, year round, is by C'est Moi. I don't leave home without one.
Llama Momma: Thank you.....a good bra makes EVERYTHING look and fit better.

 

At 11:43 AM , Blogger Sheila said…

I just want to say--as one who is as far from busy as possible--that a good bra is far superior to surgery :). Seriously, a well-fitting bra makes me look like I have a shape! I love bras!

 

At 5:15 AM , Blogger MarkyMark said…

The reason why these women emphasize sex appeal is because that's ALL they have! They don't have charm, dignity, propriety, grace, etc.; they aren't pleasant and decent companions. Why-gasp-that would be letting men 'oppress' them-can't have that now!

 

At 2:39 AM , Anonymous Ramie Craders said…

This is absolutely true. The true definition of "hot" in fashion is not the skin you can show, but the style you can pull off with your shape. Women (and men, too) should show people that they are worth respecting. Like what the saying goes, "What you wear defines you." And of course, always wear according to your age.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails