Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Weekend Round-Up
How has Simplify Your Life month been going for you? I've been decluttering, and learning how to "snatch" more time with God so that we can move on to our big task next week: Figuring out our purpose!

But in the meantime, here are some quick things you may find helpful:

1. 10 Quick Things You Can do to Declutter, from Organizing Junkie.

I love the first one:


Unload all the spices onto the kitchen table. Unscrew every lid. If you can’t smell a nice aroma or any aroma for that fact, pitch it. Once it looses its odor, all you’re left with is clutter, not a useful spice.


2. Sex: It's Not All About Him

Christianity.Ca reprinted one of my Wifey Wednesdays this week, and I reread it and realized I really liked it, so I thought it's worth linking to again!

3. Books I Love

I've written recently about books that I haven't loved--they've been okay, but they haven't been great.

But on this lazy weekend (it's Thanksgiving up here for us Canadians), I'd like to tell you about one that I've really enjoyed.

Lynn Austin is a wonderful author. Her book Eve's Daughters is probably one of my favourite Christian fiction books, tracing three generations of women and showing how the mistakes of the mother often impacts the decisions of the daughter. Really lovely story of redemption.

I was sent another of hers to review recently, and it touched me, too. Called While We're Far Apart, it's the story of a sad lonely young woman who all of a sudden gets the opportunity of a lifetime. The widowed man she's been in love with since she's a child has signed up to fight in World War II, but his mother won't look after the kids. She promises to step in and care for them, picturing it as just a stepping stone towards him eventually falling in love with her.



But her plans don't go as she thought. As she moves out of her repressive parents' home and begins to exercise some independence, she learns the world isn't as mean and small as her parents made it out to be--and that there is much more waiting for her than just her figments of dreams. And the drama going on behind the scenes as the children and the neighbours make important discoveries about their identity is beautiful.

Most moving of all is the story of a Hungarian Jewish neighbour, heartbroken because his son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are stuck in Nazi held land, and he has no idea if they're alive or dead.

The idea of "total war" is foreign to us today. Sure, we still fight wars, but it doesn't affect the rest of the population. Most of us go on with our daily lives with not a thought to the conflict. And yet there was a time where the whole world sat with bated breath, waiting for the outcome. It was the most trying time ever, but it was also a time when character was born, and in this story we see that. It's a lovely read, and it's one that I would also give two thumbs up for teens (I'm always looking for safe books for my teenagers to read). So go ahead and try that one!

I also loved Austin's Though Waters Roar, which I read this summer. She's probably my favourite Christian author right now.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

And that's about it! I'm taking a lazy weekend, and looking forward to finding a new knitting pattern to try, and enjoying my mother's turkey tomorrow night!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails