Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Creativity, Kids, and the Hundred Acre Woods



Did you take hikes in the Hundred Acre Wood when you were a child? I did. I skated on ponds with Kanga and Roo and Tigger, and I gazed up at trees searching for Owl. I loved Winnie The Pooh.

And when I read the Narnia books I escaped into a world of lamp-posts in the middle of woods, with Fauns who had fireplaces and yummy toast, with Beavers as friends who grilled fish in their little lodges.

Or I frolicked with Laura, watching the prairie dogs stick their heads up, trying to catch one, but always missing.

It's amazing how much of childhood literature has to do with children exploring the outdoors. The Secret Garden is probably the classic, as a little conceited, self-absorbed, pinched girl blossoms and becomes adventurous and rosy-cheeked as she explores the heather, with a boy who can tame robins and crows and rabbits.

Childhood and the outdoors go hand-in-hand. Literature spoke of it because that is what children did. In the days before mountains of toys filling toy boxes and playgrounds in the backyard, children explored streams, and fished for tadpoles, and skipped stones. They could relate to Huckleberry Finn because that was their life; today we think of it rafting on a river as something quaint and romantic.

We do our children a grave disservice. I know we're all scared that they will be abducted, or that the big, bad world out there is scary, but children learn so much just by interacting with nature; by staring at the ants, or watching the baby robins as they take their first flight, or collecting stones. These things are important. Children learn the cycle of life; they learn the breadth of God's creativity; they learn to find enjoyment and amazement at the simple things in life, rather than just the things that we can buy.


We try to get outdoors as much as possible; we hike, or we take off to the wetlands 15 minutes from our home, so we can watch the small animals at different stages of life throughout the year.




There's a farm about 15 minutes away, too, and we love watching the baby calves as they grow. Their tongues are so rough!




I grew up in downtown Toronto, and many of my friends had never seen a cow, or a horse, or even a chicken. They had read about them in books, and seen them on TV, but they had never smelt a barn. They had never seen another mammal, except squirrels scampering, or else in cages in a zoo. It's not much of a childhood.

Children need to be free to roam and explore and discover things for themselves. They need to build forts and serve tea to wood nymphs and write their stories in their little clubhouse.




My children have always done this when we camp, for as much as we love the outdoors, we don't live in the country. As a physician, my husband really can't live more than ten minutes from the hospital, so we're stuck in the city. But bike just a little bit down our lane and you get into a nice stretch of woods where all the bunnies live. My daughters discovered it a few years ago, and they love to go and sneak up on them and see all the babies. It was scary the first time I let them go on their own, because you worry about who else might be there. But they're not far from houses, and I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Too often we are so scared of something happening to our children that we keep them indoors and they fail to discover as kids, except on the computer. That's not a real childhood.

Whenever I read The Railway Children or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and you read about children exploring a new house, or a new countryside, or a new town, it makes me nostalgic for the days when kids exploring was far more natural than it is today. But that doesn't mean that we should accept the situation as it is now. Find times for your kids to explore. Take them to that wetland. Create an oasis in your backyard, if you have one. Let them build a fort, even if they wreck the grass. Let them learn to ride their bikes. Let them walk in a stream. Let them be kids.

It is only in the last few decades that we have forgotten what childhood is supposed to be. I think it's time to remember again.
4 Comments:

At 1:26 PM , Blogger Amy Butler said…

Couldn't agree more!

 

At 1:51 PM , Blogger Cherish said…

Definitely! I have many fond memories of wandering outside. We grew up on dirt roads so there were plenty of safe spots to bike and walk.

 

At 2:51 PM , Blogger Ellen said…

oh so true! I have a hard time sometimes feeling guilty because I can't give them the freedom I would like to (we live in a small city). I grew up on a small farm, just outside a small town - so a lot of the obsticles I have were never an issue. I try to make it out to my parents small farm as often as I can (even though it's 5hrs away!) and my kids just soak it up! It is always a wonderful experience for them, they run outside and play for hours (which is a nice break for me too, although I always check on them - force of habit, plus my son is known to get himself into a pickle every now and then :) ) Maybe one day we can move out of the city, but until then our small yard (I do garden with them - it is also a great learning experience) and my parent's oasis will be their learning ground!

 

At 11:42 AM , Blogger Susan said…

I just today came across your blog but it was an old one on cloth santitary pads.. I would love the pattern. please email me at susan.molnar@att.net
thanks Susan

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails