Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Works for Me Wednesday: Writing from Home

Many of us write. We blog; we post comments; we share our thoughts.

The only difference is that I get paid for doing it!

The first thing I ever had published as an adult was a filler for Reader's Digest. I made $160. Not too bad, I thought! I wondered if there were other magazines that bought fillers, and I went for a search on the internet for fillers + markets + writing. What came up was this gem of a book:


Sally Stuart's Christian Writer's Market Guide. It lists every periodical in North America that takes Christian articles & fillers & puzzles and anything else you can think of, as well as every greeting card market, screenplay market, and, of course, book publishers.

And so I started from there. I began with magazine articles, getting them published in Today's Christian Woman, Christian Parenting Today, and loads more.

Then, once I had several under my belt, I moved on to books. I've had four published so far with more on the way, and I'm in two new anthologies. It's always fun to see your name in print!

I have a whole page on my main website with tips on how to get published. You can find more information there!

But what I love about writing is that I can combine it with being at home. I've always been able to be with my kids, and I even homeschool them! It took a lot of discipline in the beginning, because I could only write during naptimes. Now I have to get them settled on some work before taking an hour or two to write, and it is difficult to juggle. But I love doing it.

I'm not getting rich at it, but I'm building a foundation so that when the kids leave home I'll be able to really write full time. I'm hoping to start on some novels then! It's also allowed me to develop a big speaking career.

Many women are wondering what they can do from home, and I think writing is wonderful because it gives us a creative outlet. It isn't always easy to get paid jobs, especially now with the internet offering so much for free. But the upside is that there are more and more places to get published.

So if you want to get started, order Sally Stuart's book and take it in the bath with you. Read it straight through and just look at all those magazines and websites that will pay you for your words! And then get started. You never know where it might lead.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:22 AM , Blogger Tracey said…

I want to do this too...thanks...you are an inspiration....I consider myself an unpublished writer...so maybe it's time for the next step. God Bless

 

At 12:14 PM , Blogger World's Greatest Mommy said…

This is really great advice. Moms have the best stories, and I love reading the fillers from real moms in the trenches.

 

At 12:38 PM , Blogger Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said…

Awesome tips. I want to do this and feel like I'm not sure how to get started

 

At 2:12 PM , Blogger Andrew McAllister said…

I smiled when I saw your blog name. Mine is called "To Love, Honor, and Dismay" - lovehonoranddismay.blogspot.com (although I'm on a bit of a sabbatical in keeping it up to date)

Just proves that the world is full of people with similar good ideas. Keep up the good writing and good luck with your publishing goals.

 

At 10:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

This sounds like just what I want to be doing! I do feel like there's a writer in me that wants to get out! Thanks for sharing.

 

At 1:33 AM , Blogger Audra Krell said…

I am a struggling freelance writer, who was recently rejected by TCW. Focus is publishing an article soon though. My question is about fillers, I haven't given them much consideration. Could you give me an example of something you've had published that is a filler?

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails